TRAIN. CANOE. TREK. SURVIVE.
Our training objective is to ensure everyone is at the same level of preparation so we can all enjoy it together safely. There is a guide to our fitness training here.
Every one on our team has been on the same path you are undertaking and experienced the Challenge themselves. They will guide you on your journey.
On the Challenge itself, our team will do everything we can to help get you over the finish line. In return our only ask is 100% commitment.
If you can canoe already you only have to attend the team practice weekends. Please click here for more details.
What training will I get?
1st Fitness Gate: setting expectations
1 SATURDAY ONLY
– HIIT (High Intensity Interval training) circuit
– 200m swim + 50m rescue swim in buoyancy aids
- Injury Management lesson
- 1st wilderness skill introduced
- 5km hike carrying 10kg (1 hour)
- 1st wilderness skill practiced
- For the 6 months before we go you will be expected to do weekly physical training of your own (cardio, strength, HIIT and endurance).
- Skills training. You'll learn to canoe during this time if not already, along with key field craft and wilderness skills our team will need you to learn.
Final Fitness Gate: final team readiness check
DAY 1 (Herefordshire)
– Paddle 42km; build camp
DAY 2 (Brecon Beacons)
– The Fan Y About: Hike 27km carrying expedition kit; build camp