TRAIN. CANOE. TREK. SURVIVE.
Our training objective is to ensure everyone is at the same level of preparation so we can all enjoy it together safely. There is a guide to our fitness training here.
Every one on our team has been on the same path you are undertaking and experienced the Challenge themselves. They will guide you on your journey.
On the Challenge itself, our team will do everything we can to help get you over the finish line. In return our only ask is 100% commitment.
What training will I get?
Expedition introduction and fitness assessment
1 SATURDAY ONLY
– Fitness assessment, introduction to strength training and a boxing circuit.
- Injury Management lesson
- Swim test (200m freestyle swim + 50m rescue swim in buoyancy aids)
- Introduction to the environment and route, safety briefing and introduction to some of the clothing and equipment you will need.
- For the 6 months before we go you will be expected to do weekly physical training of your own (cardio, strength, HIIT and endurance).
- Skills training. You'll learn to canoe during this time if not already, along with key field craft skills our team will need you to practice.
Expedition readiness check
After the 2nd fitness training cycle we see where the team are with a realistic Challenge simulation to benchmark overall team shape and enable equipment to be tested.
DAY 1 (Herefordshire)
– Paddle 42km; build camp
DAY 2 (Brecon Beacons)
– The Fan Y About: Hike 27km carrying expedition kit; build camp
There are then 6 weeks of training left to address any fitness concerns and adapt/change equipment.